Then I realized I can just pay for the labs, which is the only part I really want anyway, and that's a third the price and a one-day-a-week commitment.
She said she'll consider it.
It's not necessary for her to take a Regents in August (fully nine months earlier than any of her peers...), I'd just like her to.
Also, finally figured out what cake I'll bake tomorrow for her birthday. How does rosewater and ginger sound? If I ever find my rosewater, I mean. It's because I read this article, but anyway, it's a good idea. I've been rocking the rosewater lassi lately that I get at the supermarket.
The Microbes That Supercharge Termite Guts
For ornery shelter cats, 2nd chance is a job chasing mice
What Star Wars taught scientists about sperm
Inside The Weird Texas Tradition of Enormous Homecoming Corsages
Book's challenge: Can you do squats like Justice Ginsburg?
Why a New Zealand Library’s Books Kept Vanishing, Then Reappearing (Happy ending!)
How Domestication Ruined Dogs' Pack Instincts
Star Wars themes, but with the major and minor reversed. (This is like the Mirror version of the music, I guess? I can just picture evil Tom Paris on classic movie night in the Holodeck, rubbing his beard as he watches this version of the trilogy, the one in which the mighty emperor defeats the puny rebellion.)
Hero dog: 'Animal guardian' saves 8 pet goats, orphaned deer from wine country fires
Filling the early universe with knots can explain why the world is three-dimensional
Baba Yaga on the Ganges
Why Parents Make Flawed Choices About Their Kids' Schooling (My experience tells me it's close to impossible to explain to people that a school that starts with high-performing kids and ends with high-performing kids is not doing as much as a school that starts with low-performing kids and ends with kids that are in or approaching the middle. They just don't understand, or want to understand. Also, Stuy is overrated.)
Judge orders government to allow detained teen immigrant's abortion (Only read this second link if you want to be stunned and horrified by the world's most ridiculous anti-abortion argument ever.)
Understanding the coevolving web of life as a network
Fish Depression Is Not a Joke (Sad ending. Journalist should've rescued Fish Bruce Lee.)
After victory in Raqqa over IS, Kurds face tricky peace
Despite potential trade sanctions, Kurds continue with exports
China Is Quietly Reshaping the World
Lawsuit: Bighorn sheep threatened by domestic sheep grazing
As anti-drug push's toll grows in the Philippines, so does church's pushback
The true cost of a plate of food: $1 in New York, $320 in South Sudan (Sorta - the prices are adjusted in a weird way to account for different spending power)
Leaked ICE Guide Offers Unprecedented View of Agency’s Asset Forfeiture Tactics
Why Are Prosecutors Putting Innocent Witnesses in Jail?
The Crazy Flood of Tech Revelations in the Russia Investigation
The Russian Troll Farm That Weaponized Facebook Had American Boots on the Ground
No, US Didn’t ‘Stand By’ Indonesian Genocide—It Actively Participated
The Trump Administration Is Letting Americans Die in Puerto Rico, Nurses Say
Trump’s Dangerous Spin on Puerto Rico’s Suffering
Hurricanes Make the Need to Dismantle Colonial Economics in the Caribbean Increasingly Urgent
The Danger of President Pence
A Gun to His Head as a Child. In Prison as an Adult.
Chilling Photos of the Hundreds of Thousands of Rohingya Fleeing Burma
(The rest of this post about beverages, weather, life, and inspiration is at FontFolly.Net.)
The voice therapy seems to be working.
The entire house got to play The Secret World together.
The voice acting job looks closer to reality now.
Kevin's final costume piece came in the mail.
The weather is gorgeous.
The lawn is mowed.
Toyota ran my car payment twice - once on the 12th and once on 18th.
The new medical insurance I shelled out 900 on did not cover Kevin's chiropractic visit last week - even though I confirmed that doc was on the plan.
The new medical insurance I shelled out 900 on did not cover my asthma medicine yesterday - even though I confirmed that med was on the plan.
The new medical insurance I shelled out 900 on did not cover today's doc visit - even though I confirmed that doc was on the plan.
I cooked last night and it was .. pretty bad. The fish sticks had freezer burned so badly that they looked exactly the same when I put them into the oven and they snapped in half. The macaroni had weevils. I gave up at that point. I just remembered I was suppose to cook tonight. Dammit.
Still no face to face interview or job.
Tomorrow I'll have to call Toyota, call the insurance company and call the dentist about that damned crown they seemed to have forgotten about.
We caught The Cheat peeing on the stove. All this time we thought it was Nox. I would have taken the wrong cat to the vet, dammit.
Now to figure out his malfunction. He's a jerk but he's been upping the dosage lately. When I didn't want to get up at 2am to let him out of my room, he puked on the bed. He was too lazy to pull the door open so he peed on Kevin's shoes. He still gets hangry and smacks the dog, the other cats and even us when it's time to feed (which we were 10 minutes late tonight hence the peeing). He's also puked when we're late feeding him which makes no sense because we won't feed them after they puke. Yes, they - Amber tried it last week.
Sorry, we're not reloading you.
One thing getting to me on this job hunt is this:
"Nice job. I think I'll apply-"
>You Have Already Applied<
My dye job is retreating. I'll have to figure out how to do a touch up by myself.
This promises to go hilariously wrong.
The recent flurry of “#MeToo” postings, and the responses thereto, have been quite interesting. But there’s another interesting aspect that hasn’t been explored: How they came about. Specifically, the flurry was started in reaction to an opinion piece by Mayim Bialik where something she hadn’t intended to mean was taken as offense. That aspect — taking offense — is what I’d like to discuss.
As we become more and more aware of marginalized groups, cultural approbation, sexual assault and harrassment, micro-aggression, and similar things, the more and more we see them. What was once considered innocent is now seen as offensive. A classic example from a few years ago is the winter song “Baby, It’s Cold Outside”. It is a date-rate anthem? Does it need to be written with consent in mind? Or is it just a product of its times, with a nice melody? This is true for many many songs and movies. For example, just today I saw an article in the University of Wisconsin paper reconsidering the harrassment and abuse present in Disney’s Beauty and the Beast.
I think it is all well and good that we are sensitive to these cultural artifacts. They serve as reminders of the culture we are moving from, and like any folk music, will adapt in meaning over time. There are loads of folk songs that would be so culturally insensitive today.
My question is, however, how do we respond when presented with one of these? I found a really interesting article yesterday about how someone who is culturally sensitive is still finding that they hesitate when speaking up in various forums …. because they are afraid of being misinterpreted and becoming the start of a pileup. They self-censor potentially valuable content because of fear of harassment. Here are the first few paragraphs:
Callout culture. The quest for purity. Privilege theory taken to extremes. I’ve observed some of these questionable patterns in my activist communities over the past several years.
As an activist, I stand with others against white supremacy, anti-blackness, cisheteropatriarchy, capitalism, and imperialism. I am queer, trans, Chinese American, middle class, and able-bodied.
Holding these identities scattered across the spectrum of privilege, I have done my best to find my place in the movement, while educating myself on social justice issues to the best of my ability. But after witnessing countless people be ruthlessly torn apart in community for their mistakes and missteps, I started to fear my own comrades.
Is all harassment equal? Is being ruthlessly torn apart justified in the face of a misstatement or an honest mistake (I’m not talking about trolls here)? I know that I have some friends that are strong advocates of social justice, and there are many times I would like to speak up on their posts. Yet I hesitate, because I’m afraid I’ll get it wrong and end up creating pain — especially for me. It is almost the same feeling I have regarding commenting on far right conservative friends — it’s just not worth the effort.
So, I guess the debate is: When can one be too pure? When is it better just to let the small offenses slide, working on the adage “Never ascribe to malice what you can to stupidity?”
P.S.: It’s not only men that lie to get what they want. Studies show that dogs lie too.
This entry was originally posted on Observations Along the Road as Offensive Balance by cahwyguy. Although you can comment on DW, please make comments on original post at the Wordpress blog using the link to the left you can sign in with your LJ, FB, or a myriad of other accounts. PS: If you see share buttons above, note that they do not work outside of the Wordpress blog.
I was fuckin' terrible today in lunchtime Overwatch. Well, as Widow, anyway. I was good as Tracer as always, and the weird thing is, the one time I wasn't terrible as Widow, it was in deathmatch, where I was surprisingly competitive against a pretty heavy set of enemies including three Pharahs and a D.va, which is not normally a recipe for competitiveness but I was.
So I was feeling pretty okay in warmup. But christ, go into quickplay and suddenly it's WHAT IS SNIPERS? and I can't hit a shot to save my life. (And that included while winning. So.)
This is in huge contrast to yesterday where I was not just playing well, but had another entire game of being the Widowmaker I want to be. Defence in Hollywood, 70% scope accuracy, eight criticals, golds in objective kills and objective time and silver in total kills, enemy Bastion got so sick of me that he tried being enemy Widow and yeah that did not help, enemy Pharah kept trying to go over the gate wall and I just kept one-shotting her out of the air until she got so mad that on their last serious push she apparently decided "y'know what, fuck the objective, fuck the game, I'm killing that fucking Widowmaker at least once" and went through the security office while I was busy with other people, jumped me from behind and let loose her one and only ult at point-blank range just for me.
Honestly, I felt quite flattered.
I guess the short form is I am still a work in progress, and it shows.
* "Sen. Hassan: Trump neglecting deadly opioid crisis:"
( Embed: )
* "What Trump really thinks about religion:"
( Embed: )
* "Trump ducks failure to address Green Beret deaths with Obama lie:"
( Embed: )
* "Duckworth: Trump using Gold Star Families as political ploys:"
( Embed: )
* "Obama aides slam Trump over claim about past presidents, fallen soldiers:" https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-
* "Sen. John McCain warns against 'spurious nationalism':" http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/16/politics/
* "Trump warns 'I fight back' after McCain hits foreign policy:" https://apnews.com/
* "U.S. states sue to block Trump Obamacare subsidies cut:" https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-
* "Subpoena Orders Trump To Turn Over Documents From Assault Allegations:" https://www.buzzfeed.com/
* "Federal Judge Blocks Trump’s Third Travel Ban:" https://www.bloomberg.com/news/
* "Bannon promises 'season of war' against McConnell, GOP establishment:" http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/
* "The Danger of President Pence:" https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/
* "Tom Marino out as Trump's drug czar nominee after "60 Minutes" report:" https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-
* "EPA Says Higher Radiation Levels Pose ‘No Harmful Health Effect’:" https://www.bloomberg.com/news/
* "18 Dem AGs sue DeVos for blocking Obama for-profit college rule:" http://thehill.com/homenews/
* "EPA head seeks to avoid settlements with green groups:" https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-
* Spicer went to his Mueller interview; Carter Page is pleading the fifth with Senate Intelligence.
* "Manafort had $60M relationship with Russian oligarch:" https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/
* "Pence could face legal jeopardy for role in Trump scandals:"
( Embed: )
* "Trump picks leader of failed Bush Katrina response to lead DHS:"
( Embed: )
* "Senators reach deal to continue Obamacare health insurance subsidy payments:" http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/
* "Arne Duncan & Curtis Toler - Giving Hope to Chicago's Youth Through CRED - Extended Interview:"
( Embed: )
* "John Oliver - Iran Nuclear Deal:"
( Embed: )
* "It's Stupid to Think People Like Harvey Weinstein Are Rare:"
( Embed: )
* "Trump & McConnell's BFF Presser:"
( Embed: )
* "Cook County Jail: The Best Pizzeria in Chicago:"
( Embed: )
* "The Husband Stitch:" https://granta.com/the-husband-stitch/
* Science Denial: http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/
* Full list of Resistance and charity links has been migrated to my profile as it was getting out of hand.
* Call the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and ask to be connected to the representative of your choice.
* This App phones your rep for you: http://takeastance.us/
* Here is one that will send your reps a fax: https://resistbot.io/
* "Congress Wants to Change the Americans with Disabilities Act and Undermine the Civil Rights of People with Disabilities:" http://gwydionmisha.tumblr.com/post/
* How to help Flood victims in India, Nepal, and Bangladesh: http://gwydionmisha.tumblr.com/post/
"How to Help Puerto Rico from the outside:" http://gwydionmisha.tumblr.com/post/
* How to help Caribbean victims of Irma: http://gwydionmisha.tumblr.com/post/
* "How to Help Hurricane Harvey Victims:" http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/
* "Disaster Relief and Support for Libraries:" http://www.txla.org/news/2017/08/
* How to help the protesters and ordinary people in Venezuela: https://thewynne.tumblr.com/post/
* "Ten Ways to Fight Hate: A Community Response Guide:" https://www.splcenter.org/20170814/ten-
* A list of links to Charlottesville charities if you want to give the NAZIs a financial fuck you: https://twitter.com/SaraJBenincasa/
* How white Protesters can weaponize their whiteness: http://gwydionmisha.tumblr.com/post/
* List of places to donate to help trans service members and fight the planned attack on active duty trans soldiers: https://vaspider.tumblr.com/post/
* Red Cross is taking donations for Western Wildfire Relief: http://www.redcross.org/local/oregon/
* (This is here as a reminder to me for later). "Can you recommend me some good books, essays, etc. about witches, witchcraft, witch trials in England?:" https://laughingacademy.tumblr.com/
* Help pay for cat food, litter, meds, medical copays: Paypal Lethran@gmail.com
* Want Game of Thrones without the creepy? We need new players. We are very inclusive. "Game of Bones MUSH:" gobmush.wikidot.com